Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Missing Nepal, aka The Turn-Around Time Is Quicker Than Childbirth

I do love my 5:30 a.m. Spin class at the gym! Love, love, love the energetic instructor Leslie. But when she screamed at the class to put our heads down and just CLIMB! I had to laugh, Climb. I've been doing that a lot lately! And then she said, BREATHE! and I chuckled. Yes, breathing is very, very important, I recently had that idea reinforced somewhere. It seems that no matter what is happening to me during the day that I am relating it to something that happened on my trip. Watching the entitled suburban drivers on the highways here made me think of how the Nepali drivers are actually very patient. Granted, it's a game of Frogger when you try to cross the street in Kathmandu, but they are patient and kind people, even as drivers, and when you start to cross the intersections, they stop for you to scurry pass. The only rule is "don't make any sudden moves". I'll try to find an instructional video on Youtube that shows you...
I'm missing lots of things about Nepal this week. Its similar to childbirth where right afterwards, you swear youll never do it again, but then you gradually reconsider. At the Rum Doodle we talked about how much money someone would have to pay us to make us turn around the next day and do the trek again. I said $5,000. By the time I got back to the United States, it was just someone paying for my trip. This week? Its almost as if I should contacting Mountain Madness to see when the next group is leaving and if there's space for me. And maybe I'd like to go higher this time! Ahh, how soon we forget...
There, I was a person in the midst of the quiet mountains. No traffic, no media, no obligations, no nothing. Just me and my dream. I could hear the stones crunch under my boot with each step and I listened to myself breathe into the fabric around my neck that kept the dust out. The noisiest thing I can think of was a passing yak's bell or someone coughing in the next bed. Here it is sensory overload everywhere I turn.
I can't seem to make my Milk Tea the same as RamKaji did for me every morning. I miss Sila's inquiry of "Pleeze, Milk?" at breakfast.
I miss mindlessly picking up my heavy pack and throwing it on my shoulders and just walking, walking, walking...
I miss the string of "Namaste" greetings we get from people we pass on the trail.
I miss the friends and the laughs we shared along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment