Saturday, October 29, 2011

Arrival back home

I lucked out and had a whole row to myself on the flight from Seoul to Chicago. Directly across the aisle from the 3 year old who played with the on/off lightswitch and call button for the flight attendant the entire 14 hours. Landing in Chicago and breezing through immigration/customs, I was home by noon.
Seeing my kids for the first time in a month was sweet! Laying down for a nap an hour later was almost as sweet.... I meant to rest for a few hours but it turned into 6. Then I got up and ate some leftover sushi and then went back to bed for another 7 hours. Curiously, the first things I ate when I got home from the airport were a goat cheese/chicken salad and some Hostess powdered donuts (?!) Nothing like going to the store on an empty stomach. The house was clean and warm, my bed was soft--like an exaggerated-sensory-experience softness. Looking around, everything seemed like it was in excess: taking a shower suddenly involved a choice of 3 shampoos and 4 conditioners, not a bucket of cold water and some Dial soap. I had 3 blankets and 2 pillows, none of which I was worried about getting lice from! When I got OUT of bed, I wasn't damp and shivering--I wandered into a huge closet full of clothes. Emptying my bags into the laundry room, the first load was whites and lights, on HOT with a big cup of BLEACH. Followed by a second washing of the same load on HOT again, this time with OXYCLEAN. There were very few items that I did not use: my balaclava, an extra bandana, and some mittens...thats about it.

3 comments:

  1. Tara it was so awesome to see you at Jenn's last night:-) My one word to describe your "aura" was "peaceful" :-) Could be mistaken for exhaustion but... I stil think it was a sense of peace that you exuded and your smile was glowing..... So good to have you back my friend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized I could comment on your site........girl you are my hero! So glad you made it home safe and sound (admittedly, I claimed both columns - are you crazy AND that is soooo awesome!). Your adventure sounds so amazing; bask in your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home Tara! So glad you are back safe and sound. Can't wait to see your "peaceful aura" (and pictures). You rock girl! - Lori W

    ReplyDelete