Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday-First View
















Forgot to mention the flight from Kathmandu to Lukla was beautiful on a crisp morning. The Tara Air twin otter plane lifted off easily and floated to Lukla with clear views of Everest and a flawless touchdown on the super short runway. It was not scary in the least and didnt even come to an abrupt stop like I thought it would considering the short landing strip and brick wall at the end.
Today was an acclimatization day in Namche, but that does not mean REST. We took a 3 hour, 1000' elev gain hike to Everest View Hotel and had coffee at the cafe with the world's best view. Rounding the corner on the trail that gave us the first view of Ama Dablam was spectacular and breath taking. She is beautiful. Everest stands to the left but you can only see it's squatty triangle granite peak. It has been said that Everest is the short, fat man amongst beautiful women and alas, this is a great description. I tried to post pictures from my blackberry but nothing has pushed through today. There have been many rescue helicopters up and down the mountain today. Our guide says this is common, an eveyday occurence. We were able to view the trail on to tomorrow's destination, by the way. Descending the steep trail back to the lodge was hard on the feet but lunch was waiting, as were showers. We have the afternoon free and I am at an internet cafe in the village. I purchased some souvenirs for the boys and enjoyed looking at the shops which sell real mountaineering gear as well as knockoff name brands. And yak bells, which are a popular item to bring home. I may even go for a cheap massage later. First, there will be tea and biscuits at 430pm with dinner at 630pm. At dinner, Deana- the guide- gives us instructions for the next day--wake up time, packing deadline, breakfast time, a snippet of the trail type-difficulty and elevation gain as well as number of hours we will be hiking. Each morning the sherpas knock on our door with a wake up of hot tea. Water is boiled at breakfast (and every meal) to refill our water bottles. Yesterday I drank 4 liters but some of the group can drink 6! Each morning and night we are required to tell the guide what meds weve taken and then they check our heart rate and oxygen saturation with a device. So far I am feeling good and my sats are good too. Have I mentioned there is a doctor in the group? A neurologist....Hilly. In Namche, we met up with Barbara who is in her 70s and tried this trek last year. She failed to get to EBC so is at it a 2nd time, this time spending more time acclimatizing. 4 group members are already having health problems, I hope I can stave all of that off.
The highlight of my day was my phone call home to hear my little ones voices. Happy!!
PS I am unable to login to post comments but I have replied to some comments already made under as anonymous. Keep the emails and comments coming :)

3 comments:

  1. Chase got up early today so he can read and post on your blog. Read Brodie's comment on homecoming. We are doing great. Wish I was there.
    Love you,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Cathy at school on Wednesday and she said her class is following your journey. We're checking every day, though we may need to keep the pictures of food from Reese. She said she lost her appetite after I showed her the last one! Be careful and stay well, and my advice, take the massage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay healthy, stay focused, and enjoy living your dream. We are happy for you and proud of you...following your journey and checking in with your men...all fine. C&H

    ReplyDelete