Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"B" words

The biggest concerns on my mind today while packing for my trip are the 3 B's: Blisters, Bedtime, and Bathrooms. My boots are as broken in as they're gonna get and one can only hope they treat my feet right. The backup plan of running shoes makes me happy just thinking about it. I love them.
Bedtime? If you know me, you know I need my sleep. I'm a light sleeper (that's a total understatement Honey, I know) but throw in 16 bunkmates in an unheated plywood structure hacking up a lung with the Khumbu cough, and I can tell you now, it ain't gonna be pretty. For God's sake, I can hear a pin drop in the basement of my well-insulated home and I sleep with a fan going for white noise. I'm just wired that way. It serves me well in other areas of my life to be so sensitive, but as things go, it's a difficult way to live. This is when the mental discipline will need to kick into overdrive on the trip. I'll say it again: In order to function, I need sleep. I don't care about waking up early, I just need to feel rested. It's really weighing on my mind because right off the bat I will be sleep deprived because of the time change and my inability to sleep on a plane. I'm hoping the sheer exhaustion from hiking every day will allow my body to rest at night. Just in case, I've got 3 different brands of earplugs.
Bathroom issues... As I line up the million medications I am required to take on the trip in the event I acquire any number of ailments along the way, I can't help but think specifically about all the potential intestinal problems that threaten trekkers in Nepal. I am famous for always touching my eyes, my mouth, etc.-a perfect host for various bacteria. I hope to be right smack in the middle of the bathroom spectrum, i.e., NO PROBLEMS. If I let my mind wander, I think about how awful it is when you have the flu and how you just want God to make the misery stop...and then I think, what must it be like to be sick in a place with no Western toilets and no running water? Ughhh. Ickkk. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293890-d7614200-Reviews-Nepal_Planet_Treks_Expedition_Day_Tours-Kathmandu_Kathmandu_Valley_Bagmati_Zone_C.html

    ReplyDelete